Monday, May 16, 2011

Playing Dress-Up - Rosie the Riveter

My kids have a big costume box in the playroom.  They dress up every day.  For them, it's normal.  Donning costumes for me, however, is not a very regular occurrence.  Even Halloween is kind of a fly-by-the-seats-of-our-pants occasion.  So, when my ward planned a dress-up activity for the adults, assigning specific decades to groups of couples, I jumped at the chance.  Greg and I were assigned to the 1940s group.  Now, let's be clear here.  Greg does NOT dress up.  I learned long ago that if I wanted to do something, I just had to do it, whether he was on board or not.  So Greg didn't dress up, but I did. 

My neighbor let me borrow a vintage 1940s dress with a real fur shrug, nylons with the seam up the back and a 1940's hat.  It was marvelous, but not for me.  I still had to be me, right?  So I went digging through Greg's 50-gallon tub of work clothes in the basement, located a hankie I've had for years and bought me some seriously red lipstick.  This is not that last time you will see this costume. When you find something that works, you've got to wear it out.

5 comments:

Sarah Heder said...

I'm pretty much obsessed with Halloween and dressing up. I'm bookmarking this post under my ideas for future Halloween costumes. Brilliant!

MOM/Phyllis said...

"Ahh, would 'ya look at them muskles," gasped Popeye.

Steph said...

Perfect!

Ashley said...

I so would have worn the dress you chicken!! But i am loving the red lipstick.

The Gomes Family said...

I just have to tell you that I pretty much love ya even though we haven't met. I wish we lived closer because you and I could have tons of fun together, yes we would get each other in trouble with our spouses but it would totally be worth it! I love your blog and I love ya!