Monday, October 19, 2009

NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART - consider yourself warned

Our house was happily flooded last weekend with almost all of Greg's family who came up to visit and hunt ampewopes. If you don't believe the title, I'll warn you again that the photos to follow are not for those of you with a sensitive gag reflex (and I've even excluded the most graphic ones). There were 18 people - 11 adults and 7 children - in our 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom house and I loved every second of it. I have finally reached a point in my life where I prefer a full house of happy people over a clean but empty one. Greg had already filled his 2 tags, so there were 10 to be filled over the weekend . . . and you know those hunters wouldn't let up until each filled his/her own tags. The kill of the weekend was Kamie (she always seems to outshoot the boys) who dropped an antelope at about 270 yards with one shot. What a stud.

(Cousins happily reunited: Ethan, Jess, Brigham, Link, Jocelyn)
Ethan and his cousin Brody went out with the hunters on day 2 in the morning. Ethan is definitely Greg's son - eager to get in and hold the legs while the animals were cleaned, wanting to know about and touch everything that came out and still demanding that we have some antelope for dinner . . . and soon. Just a couple more years and he'll be tagging along as Greg's official hunting buddy.

A fantastic side note about Wyoming and hunting - all school children get the first day of hunting season off!
Anyway, the weekend was filled with fabulous food, fantastic company and memories that we hope to renew next year! I think my favorite event was when we set up the projector to watch a movie on the "big screen" (a.k.a. the wall) and had three queen-sized air mattresses lined up side by side. It was like flashing back to a middle school slumber party, although I'm sure in middle school we would have been able to last longer into the movie than we did here.
The last night was a late one in the garage for the hunters. There were 11 antelope hanging from the rafters at one point and everyone spent a lot of hours outside cutting, packaging and bottling the meat (which, turns out, tastes like Costco's canned beef - pretty good).
After the last of our house guests cleared out on Sunday after church, I did a quick pickup and clean of the floors . . . and then settled into missing everyone who had just left.


I love you Kemps! Can't wait until next year's hunting season . . .

3 comments:

Jessy said...

Quite a harvest!

So, you didn't play Curses?! =}

Jody said...

Wow! That one leaves me quite speechless.

One Giant Fall Forward said...

:( sniff sniff... need I say more!!!



ok I will!!! I MISS YOU GUYS!!!