Monday, February 8, 2010

Guts

Yesterday during our ward's fast and testimony meeting, I pointed out to Ethan that one of his friends from church was standing at the pulpit sharing his testimony. Ethan's eyes lit up. "Can I go, too, mom?" He was so eager, the only thing I could do was send him on his way. Since Greg was working, I stayed on our bench with Lincoln and Porter. Ethan went and found a chair next the bishop and waited for his turn. My friend in front of me turned around and said quietly, "You're brave to send him up alone!" I smiled and whispered back, "I guess this will be the test."

When his turn came, he bravely stood behind the microphone and started fantastically: "I'd like to bear my testimony. I know this church is true . . ." He looked down at me and I could see a moment of panic. He stalled and seemed unsure where to go from there. I nodded encouragement . . . and he ran with it. "My name is Ethan. I have two brothers. Their names are Ethan and Lincoln. Oh wait. I was mistaking. Their names are Lincoln and Porter. I go to primary. I have a new teacher. Her name is Michelle. And another teacher. He's a daddy and his name is Travis. I've been to their house before. They have a cat . . . no wait. They have [with finger props] TWO cats . . ."

By this time I was dying and tears of laughter filled my eyes. He was so cute and everyone was chuckling. Of course, he loved the attention. I was trying to catch his eye and get him to wrap things up, but he continued to ramble on, entertaining the congregation. I finally stood and walked to stand in front of the podium, whispering to him to close his testimony with the things he is grateful for.

"I'm grateful for church and for primary and for my family and for Jesus and for the prophet. InthenameofJesusChristAmen." What a proud and anxiety-ridden moment. I spent the rest of the day laughing with people who came up to tell me how adorable and brave Ethan was to get up by himself. I think the next time we sit down for testimonies, we'll have a brief chat about what they really are. He does have guts, though. You have to give him that. I'm so proud.

9 comments:

moller99 said...

I heard it was sooo cute! I wish we hadn't missed it!

One Giant Fall Forward said...

Tell him that I am so proud of him! What a great habit to get into. Tell him he is a good example for his Aunt Kassie!

オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tingeys said...

I wish I could have heard him. Good job Ethan!

~Audrey ~ said...

what a kid! :-) Tell him way to be brave!

Unknown said...

OH my goodness...I was touched tears started to well up...and then they burst out with laughter...he never ceases to surprise me!!! What gutsy little guy...hmmm...i'm thinking next president...or stand up comedian! Love ya! Give him a high five for me!!!

The Gomes Family said...

What a cute little man!

Elaine Kemp said...

Ethan,
You keep it up. You tell the world about your testimony and you will grow up with a giant testimony. You will be a great missionary. Grandma loves you sooooo much. GrandmaE.

Tina said...

That is adorable.