Monday, May 10, 2010

A Bear

Yesterday was mother's day. And the, um...let's say 'most unique' gift I received was...
Yup, the carcass of a bear. I am one lucky gal. Bear season opened last weekend and Greg has been doing his darnedest to bag the "big one" pictured on the trail cam photos. This isn't that bear (maybe he's saving elusive "big one" for grandpa), but he finally bagged a good sized black bear. He got back late last night when he and his friend proceeded to "clean" and "dehide" the bear in the garage (seriously, folks. that's the prettiest way I can put it).


Greg really wanted Ethan to see the bear so I gathered Ethan and his blankets out of bed and hauled him the garage. Ethan, who was maybe at best less than 3% coherent, had to be roused several times to look at the bear. When Greg help up the head for him to see, Ethan pried his eyes halfway open with some serious eyebrow effort and said, "Oh... Hi Dakota..." and then promptly relented again to dreamland. Elaine and I were just talking last week about how Dakota has kind of a "bear" face. I am very happy, however, that I have a chocolate lab in the back yard instead of a auburn-colored black bear.
Now we just keep him frozen until we turn him into Greg's long awaited bear rug. Maybe he will find his home on our bed, with his head nestled comfortably between our pillows. Not.
Happy Mother's Day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, another grand-PAW in the family... congratulations Greg!! And I'm glad you are home safely and not in the tummy of some humongous bear!! Love to you all! GrandPaw Rogers

The Gomes Family said...

Oh my heavens that is so crazy! It scares me as I read it and look at it! Good job!