Saturday, May 15, 2010

A post about a dog

I didn't even want a dog, remember? I knew I would end up feeding it and being responsible for it entirely. But I conceded. The boys wanted one so badly. Greg wanted a duck hunting buddy and the little boys went crazy at the thought of having one.

So, Greg took Ethan and Lincoln down to Utah to pick her up. They were in love at first sight. She was adorable, chocolate, soft and hard not to love. I thought she made me crazy - the cleaning up after her in the laundry room, the chewing everything in site, the jumping. But now that she's gone, I remember it differently.

Now I remember packing her around in a laundry basket in the front seat of my car when she was little. Now I remember Ethan running to hide in the tall grass and then calling to her to come and find him. Now I remember loving how she would sit at the back door while Lincoln and Porter opened and shut it 1000 times, every time wanting her to lick their hands, and every time she would. I remember loving how Greg would come home boasting about how fabulous she was when they went horse riding, never tiring, always listening. I remember my kids hating the nasty weather that kept them from playing outside with her. She loved my boys. I'm pretty sure she loved me. But I didn't know how much I loved her until she was gone. She was a lifeline for my kids, for Greg. She was a good dog. She was only 8 months old. She only lived with us for 6. But we loved her.

I used to smirk at people who act like their pets are like their children. But now I think I've had a little taste. Dakota was part of our family. I'm not sure I'm ready for another member. She will be hard to replace.

I never wanted a dog. But my boys did. And I suppose it's possible to fall in love through the happy eyes of those you love most.

6 comments:

Ashley said...

Hey Emery, So what happened to little Dakota? Did I miss that blog post. Hope all is well with the boys and your new house! Love u~ check my blog @ loseyfamily4.blogspot.com

Hillary said...

i'm so sorry, too. we have a puppy and waited a long time... like until my kids were out of diapers and can pick up poop! now i can't imagine our family w/o him! let us know what happened.

Anonymous said...

You bring out the best of a loving pet experience... memories of pets of my youth... and the sadness that comes when they are no longer with us.
Ask me about the favorite horses of my youth. Dear friends.
I loved your comment about loving pets through the eyes of those you love more.
Blessings to you and your little ones.
One of the joys of love is that it is long remembered. Dakota will be with you and your family for a long long time! Smiles and warm fuzzies when you don't expect them.

xoxo dad

Emery said...

the Terminix man came last week. But instead of killing rats and mice, his cocktail killed our puppy. sniff.

Ashley said...

That is so horrible! Im so sorry. They better buy you a new puppy! Keep smiling and maybe someday soon you can get another little puppy. They are great and having a dog when your kids are young is a really special thing. Xoxo

The Gomes Family said...

Oh my, I love my dog even though she poops and is a pit bull and is supposed to be the worst dog ever, she is loving and caring and has warm eyes and knows when I need her to be close and when I don't. When I was pregnant so was she, but the hag had her kids in 60 days I had to wait 40 weeks!
Bad Terminix man, I thought the concoctions were dog safe?
She keeps us safe, she warns us of danger, she isn't the danger! She is a Gomes!