Tuesday, April 26, 2011

10 Years Later

Wow. We look like we were 15.  I guess 19 isn't really that much older than 15, but what's your excuse?  When I met you, as is typical of teenage-hood, I was terribly naive.  And I really wanted to get married.  I remember being counseled when I was younger to date good people because you "marry who you date."  Not the case for me.  Every person I dated before you came along gave me a better idea of what I didn't want; hence the reason I snatched you up so quickly. 

I'm not entirely sure I knew who I was when we got married.  But I did know what I wanted.  You were an Eagle Scout and a Returned Missionary.  I liked your family a lot.  And you were good looking and funny and really nice to me.  I was overjoyed to be the object of your affection. 

In the last 10 years, you have helped unearth the real me.  I have discovered who I am; who I want to be.  You have encouraged me to become independent and confident, helping me understand the things I can and cannot do alone.  We have tempered the twists and turns of life together, and even though some days I can't admit it aloud, I really wouldn't change a thing.  You have always been, and still are, exactly what I need, whenever I need it. And even though you don't always love my hair, I'm grateful you're resigned to an understanding that being openly unhappy about it doesn't get us anywhere. 

I love you.  A lot.  Thank for letting me be me and loving me for it...and in spite of it.  Here's to the next 10 years of our crazy adventure...whatever they may bring.

3 comments:

Steph said...

10 years? Really? How's come you didn't mention it yesterday?!! This is big!

Baby Em and Baby Greg were cute!

Congratulations!

Jody said...

Congrats on 10 years! What a beautiful family you have.

Ashley said...

You guys really do look young. Just wait till you hit 30! It's all down hill from there. I don't even know where our wedding pictures are... Congrats!