Saturday, April 30, 2011

A Fun Run

I went with Ethan to run his first race today.  His elementary school sponsors a 5K/Fun Run for the community, and I decided months ago, since Ethan is always begging to go running with me and can't, we would do it together. I signed us up for the 1-mile fun run and he's been talking about it for weeks.

This morning we woke up to 2 inches of snow. As soon as Ethan saw, he was resigned to staying home.  No way. We bundled up and headed to the school.  By the time the race started, we had already shed 2 layers.  It turned out to be a lovely morning for a run.  We were kind of stop-and-go, but mostly because Ethan found a buddy from his class and held his hand, trying to keep him motivated.  We crossed the finish line in 17 minutes 10 seconds...and because he crossed just before me, he has been telling everyone all day how he "totally smoked" me. We had a great time.  I love the idea of running with my kids as they get older. Maybe if I work on them now, they will still want to run with me as teenagers...and talk about life. Ambitious? Yes. Realistic? We'll see.  But for now, I'll take what I can get.

3 comments:

~Audrey ~ said...

Way to go Ethan! I can't believe you smoked your mom! ;-) You're a good woman Em.

Jody said...

Did you just use "run" and "talk" in the same sentence? ;)

Ashley said...

I would never be able to talk my boys into running. Good work Emery!