Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Boys will be boys

So . . . this isn't really new news, but I'm a little behind.

At the end of February, Porter was running around like a chicken with his head cut off (which is so normal) when he tripped on our terra cotta style kitchen floor. The tiles are old, rustic and not entirely flush. He face-planted and caught the 1/2" raised edge of one of the tiles. I stood to help him and saw that his nose was split wide open. Luckily, one of my girlfriends was over for dinner and she was able to help me roundup the bigger boys and get everyone down to the little clinic in town (where you have to call 911 after hours to make sure someone will be there to meet you).

After a quick assessment and Greg's arrival from work, we bundled Porter in a sheet like a burrito and held him while he screamed. He got 4 stitches and handled it like a champ.
THEN . . . 5 days later when the nurse was pulling them out one by one and his nose split open again. They applied Steri-Strip tape to his nose and told me it would stay in place for 5-7 days. Porter had other plans. He pulled 7 strips off in 2 hours. The doctor who met me at the clinic later that night was less than helpful and suggested knocking him out with anesthesia to restitch or driving to Jackson the next day for a plastic surgery consult. Seriously?
Instead, we had a brief phone consultation with a plastics doctor in Jackson who said to just watch the scar and keep ointment on it. I'm not sure if Porter's future will hold any kind of laser treatment for scarring or not, but his nose seems, at least for the time being, to be healing nicely. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Jody said...

Oh, Emery! This makes me so much more nervous for our little boy who is about to make his arrival any day now. I don't know if I'm ready for this!!! But you always handle it like a champ! I'm taking notes....

Emery said...

my blog is filtered, jody. you don't get to see the initial freak out. i've had time to pull myself together. :) you'll be fabulous. good luck!