Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Grandpa Great

On July 21, Grandpa Great joined his sweetheart on the other side of the veil, just 6 months after her mortality was abandoned. I've been weeping on and off for a couple weeks now, but also have this overwhelming sense of appreciation and happiness to know that he and Grandma Great are reunited, dancing together again. Just like Grandma, Grandpa may as well have been my biological grandparent. They never made me feel like I was anything less than an absolute part of their legacy.

Greg called me a few days before Grandpa's passing as he was leaving Grandpa's house for what he was sure would be his last visit. He told me he felt like he had said his final goodbye to Grandpa. I've only been part of the Kemp family for 9-1/2 years and I feel like I've lost my own grandpa. But I know that, even though I know their history through stories, Greg's relationship with Grandpa has always been a huge part of his life. More than a grandparent, Grandpa was one of his dearest friends and valued mentors.

The little boys and I were planning to visit Grandpa on the way home from our summer visit to Tahoe. After talking to Greg, I worried we wouldn't make it in time. We didn't. But I had the chance to speak with him a couple times before he went, including the morning of the day he passed. He was weak and couldn't speak, but Elaine said he tried to respond when I told him how special he was to me and much I loved him...and when Porter yelled over the phone, "I yub you Gwampa-Gwate!"

It turned out that by postponing my trip home from Tahoe by only 1 day, the little boys and I were able to gather with the Kemps in Utah for Grandpa's memorial. It was only 8 weeks after we had all gathered with Grandpa on Memorial Day, visiting Grandma under the silver oak in Provo Cemetery and appreciating the epitomizing beauty of the headstone recently erected...just waiting for the engraved date of Grandpa's reunion with his sweetheart.
The memorial service was perfect. Grandpa was not only the strong and capable patriarch of a huge family, he was an example and mentor to hundreds of people whose paths he crossed in the Church or throughout the community. He changed lives. Not just those of his family, but anyone he came in contact with. He was that man.

It was hard to say goodbye to Grandpa. Hard to understand that he wouldn't join us at family dinners or at Christmastime or host family barbecues in his immaculate yard. But I think it was harder to say goodbye to Grandma in January. When she passed, we witnessed their separation. Him without her. At least with his passing, we know they are happily reunited again, free of their tormented mortal bodies.

From Elaine's obituary: "How fitting that as we think of Wars, Veterans, Independence, and Pioneers who sought for Freedom in this month of July, that we also pay tribute to Shirl's life. He is finally free from the ravages of lymphoma. Shirl is a war veteran in more ways than one: as a sub vet, as a battle scarred heart disease and cancer hostage four times, and in one other way, as a veteran of the War in Heaven . . .

In the beauty of the lilies, Christ was born across the sea
With a Glory in his bosom that transfigures you and me.
As He died to make men holy, let us live to make men free,
While God is marching on.

Some stand out in this eternal war to make men free. Shirl D. Kemp is one who is a Family Captain of Freedom. He has been transfigured to rest in the glory of Christ's bosom. His life is a witness to the Plan of Salvation. He has become a lily of beauty in the Plan, through faith and repentance and obedience and sacrifice. He has lived to make his family free. He has loved The Commander, even the Lord of Hosts, the Savior, Jesus Christ. We salute you and love, dad. You are top side now!"

When Uncle Keith had a turn at the pulpit during the funeral, he quoted: "Life isn't over for a faithful LDS member until they are safety dead, with their testimony burning brightly." Grandpa lit a fire in all of us. It is now our job to pass that light and love and knowledge to our children. And we've got some big shoes to fill.

3 comments:

Jody said...

I loved how you explained the difference in feelings between Grandma and Grandpa Great's passing. Now they are together. What peace that brings.

He sounds like an amazing man. How wonderful that you really felt as though he was one of your own.

Tina said...

That made me cry. Thanks so much for sharing. I love your family, just thinking of you all makes me so happy. You need to post the picture of you and Grandpa Kemp from FB, I just saw that, adorable. He was even a sweetheart to me, a niece in-law. Thinking of all of you guys...

Unknown said...

That was wonderful. It's true...whenever I stop and think of Grandpa and Grandma...I have such a strong picture in my mind of their sweet dances together....Grandma's cheek snuggled in so close to Grandpa's chest...just smiling...both of them humming softly to the music. Your words were so eloquent...so fitting. Sure love you!