Thursday, August 19, 2010

Unforgettables

Before I forget, I have to document 2 of my favorite things from our trek from Tahoe through Utah and finally home to Wyoming. First off, we drove 600 miles in one day. Just me and the littles. We were prepared with snacks, stories on tape, cartoon DVDs and my iPod plugged into only one ear and turned down low (don't judge). And a miracle happened. I did not raise my voice at my children once. They did not raise their voices at each other. There was no hitting, poking, whining, crying, fighting or drama whatsoever. We stopped only once to go to the bathroom and have lunch. We never stopped on the side of the road so someone could pee. If the veil wasn't drawn over my eyes, I'm sure I would've seen angels packed like sardines in the cab of Greg's truck with us...like 30 clowns in a clown car. It was unbelievable.

Second, the 4-hour, 250-mile trip from Utah to Wyoming was not as easy. The boys were vacation fried and ready to be home . . . and who am I kidding? So was I. But Ethan busied himself in the back seat for at least 1-1/2 hours whittling almonds with the broken off top of a plastic knife. Almond shavings were everywhere and he was so proud of his end results, which looked like, well . . . almonds.

1 comment:

Ben said...

Once I rode in a car for eight hours with you. We were on our way to Disneyland. We left Bishop late, under the stars, you and I in the backseat with one of our others crammed in too. And you fell asleep on my shoulder.

It's just one little fleck of memory, but it's a good one.